Dean P. Mellas, PA-C, Physician Assistant
Dean P. Mellas is a physician assistant with Kayal Orthopaedic Center. Originally from Westchester, New York, Dean is a graduate of Charles E. Gorton High School where he was a scholar athlete. He earned varsity letters in soccer and golf, and was inducted into the National Honor Society. Dean is also a recipient of the New York State Regents College Scholarship as well as the Superintendent’s Award of Academic Excellence.
Dean received his bachelor of science from Manhattan College, where he studied biology. He volunteered as an EMT and worked as a phlebotomist at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, New York. Continuing his studies at the State University of New York at Stony Brook’s School of Health, Technology and Management Physician Assistant Program, Dean earned his degree in health sciences and received his Physician Assistant Certificate. He was the recipient of the American Academy of Physician Assistants Scholarship, New York State Society of Physician Assistants Scholarship, and the State University of New York at Stony Brook Physician Assistant Program Scholarship.
Dean began his career as a physician assistant in surgery at Morristown Memorial Hospital in 2002. He then joined Advanced Surgical Solutions, and enjoyed working in the field of advanced laparoscopic general and bariatric surgery. During his time at Advanced Surgical Solutions, he helped the practice grow into a Center of Excellence in Bariatrics.
Dean has always had an interest in orthopedics, and looks forward to contributing his surgical skills and developing a therapeutic alliance with his patients. During his free time, he enjoys playing recreational basketball and volleyball. He also is a member of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Wyckoff. Dean is a devoted family man, and enjoys spending time with his wife, Denise, and daughters, Eva and Ana.
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- New York State Department of Health Infection Control and Barrier Precautions
- Current Licensure as Physician Assistant in New Jersey/New York
- Current CDS/DEA Registration
- State University of New York at Stony Brook; Stony Brook, NY
- B.S. in Health Science/Physician Assistant Certificate 6/02
- Manhattan College; Riverdale, NY
- Obstetrics and Gynecology: Queens Hospital Center; Jamaica, NY
- Orthopedics: University Hospital; Stony Brook, NY
- Primary Care Preceptorship: Northeastern Medical Associates; Deer Park, NY
- Emergency Medicine: University Hospital; Stony Brook, NY
- Geriatrics: Parker Jewish Institute; New Hyde Park, NY
- Pediatrics Preceptorship: Dr. Richard Pohl; Wading River, NY
- Surgery: Queens Hospital Center; Jamaica, NY
- Pediatrics Clerkship: Mercy Medical Center; Rockville Center, NY
- Medicine Clerkship: Nassau University Medical Center; East Meadow, NY
- Psychiatry: Nassau University Medical Center; East Meadow, NY
PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYMENT & PRIVILEGES
- Advanced Surgical Solution, LLC, Dr. Vadim Gritsus, Employer; Pequannock, NJ. 7/03-2/12.
- Advanced Surgery Center of Clifton; Clifton, NJ. 1/11-2/12.
- West Parkway Ambulatory Surgical Center; Pompton Plains, NJ. 5/09-Present.
- Chilton Memorial Hospital, Department of Surgery; Pompton Plains, NJ. 07/03-Present.
- The Valley Hospital, Department of Surgery; Ridgewood, NJ. 11/04-Present.
- Morristown Memorial Hospital, Department of Surgery; Morristown, NJ. 11/02-2/12.
HEALTH RELATED POSITIONS
- Westchester Medical Center; Valhalla, NY. (1998-1999). Phlebotomy Technician.
- Valhalla Volunteer Ambulance Corps; EMT-D. (1998-2000). Driver, Crew Member.
CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION
- American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery 28th Annual Meeting—Participation in SILS Bariatric Surgery Lab (6/11).
- The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Minimally Invasive Surgery Symposium (2/10).
- John Hopkins University School of Medicine 25th Annual Course Perioperative Management (3/09).
- Realize Adjustable Gastric Band Training Course for Allied Health Professionals (4/08).
- UMDNJ PA Certification & Recertification Examination Review Course (6/08).
- AAPA‘s 32nd and 33rd Annual Physician Assistant CME Conferences (5/04 & 5/08).
- Endosurgery Institute- Managing the Bariatric Surgical Candidate (10/03)
- New York/New Jersey Bariatric Surgery Forum.
- Bioenterics LAP-BAND System Workshop (7/03).
- Top Gun Laparoscopic Skills and Suturing Course –Beth Israel Medical Center (11/03).
HONORS, PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- American Academy of Physician Assistants Scholarship (2000).
- New York State Society of Physician Assistants Scholarship (2000).
- SUNY at Stony Brook Physician Assistant Program Scholarship (2000).
- Affiliate Member, ASMBS.
- Assisted in Establishment and Growth of Bariatric Program at Chilton Memorial and The Valley Hospital.
- Achieved and Maintained Center of Excellence Designation for Advanced Surgical Solutions- Chilton.
- Memorial Hospital and The Valley Hospital.
- Maintain Bariatric Outcomes Longitudinal Data Base.
- First Assist in Bariatric, Advanced Laparoscopic, and General Surgery.
- Presented Bariatric Seminars to Public and Participate at Bariatric Support Groups.
- Perform Adjustments of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band.